The building of the Dunlop Arena was funded in large part by William Wright, the founder of today's Globe & Mail. The arena hosted the Barrie Flyers of the Ontario Hockey League, and also briefly hosted the Barrie Colts while the Barrie Molson Centre was under construction.
The Barrie Kennel and Obedience Club held its first championship show at the arena in June of 1947. The original structure was expanded in the 1950s, when Barrie Flyers owner Hap Emms required a larger facility to accommodate more spectators for the popular OHL team.
The arena has a 190 foot by 85 foot ice surface, a food concession stand and 2,500 uncomfortable wooden seats. It also contains a lot of fond memories - not just hockey. Residents knew when the Garden Brothers circus was in town when they saw an elephant parked at the Dunlop Arena lot.