Going Postal

The other month witnessed another successful mission - this time to the abandoned Post Office on Collier Street in beautiful downtown Barrie. We were able to get to this location before the hoarding went up as part of the Scotia Bank renovations.

The mission was joined by UrbEx Barrie's new favourite explorer chicks, faded_x, and OneDeadHero. A new explorer, LostintheWoods. Mr. Lost conducted himself most admirably. Much frivolity ensued with JuicyFruitKisses hamming-it-up for my camera.

The location proved somewhat challenging due to high road and pedestrian traffiic. Another challenge presented itself to our merry band inside - hobo-faeces (everywhere!). This building showed evidence of significant use by the unfortunate Barrie homeless.

Future Plans:

The Scotiabank announced on November 17, 2005 that it will redevelop the old post office site, at Collier and Owen streets. The new 22,000-square-foot, two-storey centre will offer a complete range of banking and financial services, as the bank consolidates Dunlop and Allandale branches and its commercial and investment services. Rezoning is currently underway to allow re-development to 'C1 / C2'.

Across the street where the remnants of the once beautiful Barrie Opera House now sits is the subject of another $ 6.8 million project. Parallax Investments intends to develop a three-storey office building attached to a five-storey parking garage. Annother major financial tenant is expected to be part of the new professional / financial commercial plan.

Some Notes on the proud history of postal service in Barrie:

The original Post Office was built in 1884 as was located on Dunlop Street at the present day Memorial Square. During the demolition of this beautiful structure in the early 1970's (?), a time capsule was discovered. The documents discovered was reprinted by by the Simcoe County Historical Association in 1979 and is titled "Historical Sketch of the Town of Barrie".

he document was prepared by the mayor at the time for the occasion of Laying the Memorial Stone of the new Post Office, Customs House and Post Office Inspector's offices, by Hon. Sir Hector Langevin, Minister of Public Works, Dominion of Canada, on Wednesday October 8th, 1884.

The Post Office moved to the new location sometime in the mid-1950's at 44 Collier Street. Due to a variety of issues, the office was moved again sometime in 2003 to its present location at the old 'Hasty-Mart' on 150 Collier Street. Happy & Safe Exploring to All.

No comments: