5.30.2006

My Urban Exploration Exploits

Urb Ex Barrie

I am republishing several blogs from my other pages so please do not be alarmed that it may appear I've done a herculean volume of exploring and blogging.

A few years ago, I picked up a hobby - Urban Exploration. Also known as urbex or UE. I should think that this was a realisation or evolution of a passion since I was a knee-bitter. I just loved going places I was not suppose to. I research, photograph, document and explore abandoned structures in and around Barrie and surrounding area.




Urban exploration is the examination of the normally unseen or off-limits parts of the human civilization. Urban exploration is also commonly referred to as Infiltration, although I consider Infiltration to be more closely associated with the exploration of active or inhabited sites. There are about as many 'brands' of UE as there are explorers.

This can very basically be split into above-ground (structures, etc.) and below-ground (draining) and split again into active (an occupied location) or abandoned. My particular brand is above-ground abandoned and since I am a bit of a history buff, I consider myself an amatuer urban archaeologist.

I never disturb the site I explore out of respect for the location I am visiting, as well as out of respect of other explorers who may want to visit later. Because of this, I have a code of ETHICS common to many other UE individuals and groups:

1. Never remove any item from a site, even if it is to be torn down,

2. Never vandalise the property, and

3. Never place graffiti at any site.


CopySix is taking only Photos and Leaving only Footprints

No comments: